Banned books and your bookshelf

Surprisingly, I have read quite a few books that are considered banned. The ones that stood out to me the most are the following:
  1. Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher. I read this when I was a sophomore or junior in high school; one of my close friends recommended it to me. I felt like although it was a strong message, it was a necessary one. Especially for a teenage girl who was caught up in the social aspects of trying to gain "popularity." I think this book is a gateway for teenagers to open up about their feelings and be aware of what depression they may or may not have.
  2. Twilight by Stephanie Meyers. This is a like a staple of my pre-teen and teenage years. Of course I give this book and all the others in the series raving reviews. I really enjoy the storyline throughout this series.
  3. The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison. I read this as a senior in AP English and enjoyed it quite a bit. The plot line of a little girl wanting to be someone different really stood out to me at the time. I don't see how this book would be banned whatsoever unless it's banned due to some of the abusive scenes.
I feel like all books should be allowed... to a point. Of course age appropriate books should be the only ones allowed to be checked out by free will, meaning in the library at schools. On the other hand, I do believe books with more adult like content should be allowed in a classroom setting. Having an adult with them to discuss the mature themes would help the students understand what is going on and allow them to begin developing thoughts on more realistic themes at a younger age.

My bookshelf mostly contains the Twilight Saga, The Hunger Games Series, and a few other sci-fi type of books. I enjoy books that aren't your typical story. For instance, my mom is obsessed with romance novels like Dear John and The Notebook (not gonna lie, they're good books but not my favorite). I suppose if you interpreted my interests purely on what kind of books I read you would think I was in love with werewolves, ghosts, and other out-of-this-world beings. In reality, I just enjoy reading books that take me completely out of my real world and put me into a made up fantasy land.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magazines

Music's influence

Fake News