The Internet

Sherry Turkle makes some fantastic points about technology. It was funny to me that she mentioned how she enjoys getting texts, but too many of them can be damaging.
The first main point she mentions is that our devices can be very psychologically powerful; they have the ability to change what we do and who we are. Cell phones and other devices have made it where important meetings or classes are now being held less important because those attending them are online shopping, writing emails, pretty much doing anything except giving the speaker their attention. We are getting so out of touch with being around people and actually connecting, that we are getting together yet exploring phone's side by side rather than holding a real conversation.  These conversations are becoming so far and in between that some people can't even hold a real one due to have no conversationalist skills! People would rather text something out because they can sit and think about what to say, rather than actually saying it face to face and in a raw environment.
 
 
 
I personally don't play any games on my phone. A few years ago I'd play the Kim Kardashian game or that one farming game where you could feed your animals, build houses, and make foods for money. I no longer play these, specifically because it was taking up even more time than I already take on my phone. The one game that always kept my interest is Sims. I never actually connected on the internet with it, so it was not a community or networking thing, but wow... I could easily play that game for like three hours without even batting an eye. Before my daughter, I would play Sims all day long without even worrying about it; now it's been a solid year since I've even played. When in full swing though, I probably easily spent 12-15 hours a week playing this game.
 
 
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magazines

Music's influence

Persuasive Techniques